Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Evernote, Spotify and Amahi


I've been using Evernote for over a year now as my primary note taking app. It does a fantastic job keeping my notes in the cloud so I stay in sync between work, home and on my mobile. But it's "killer" feature is its handwriting recognition. Often enough, I end up taking notes on the go either in my notebook or on post-its. I just scan them and sync to Evernote, and its sophisticated script recognition searches the images. For business cards, Evernote just uses my Macbook's iSight camera to grab a snap. Now, I can check back at my notes anywhere anytime to find what I need - even from a cybercafe through their web interface.

Over the last week, I've taken the power of Evernote and applied it to a pretty mundane task - eliminating the clutter in my study (#7 on my 'list'). I've taken every flyer, receipt, statement, document and printout and sorted them into three categories:

  1. Trash. Heads straight for the bin. This category was about 20% of the junk that had piled up.
  2. Soft storage. I scan a copy, upload to Evernote and trash the paper. This category was larger than I had imagined. 80% of the papers lying around were things I didnt need hard copies of. This made a huge difference in eliminating a lot of papers.
  3. Permanent storage. I scanned the copy, uploaded to Evernote, and categorized the documents into manila folders for archival in a closet.

I've used a dozen different note taking tools in the past - from OneNote to Treepad, but I dont think any of them come close to Evernote. I would highly recommend giving it a try!

While on the topic of useful software, here's two others to check out:

  • Spotify - Forget Last.fm and Pandora. Get onto Spotify for listening to music. You'll need to use an online proxy to work around the country restrictions and use it in India.
  • Amahi - Take an old laptop/desktop and convert it into a media center that streams your home collection of movies, music, and files. Plus, access it from anywhere using the inbuilt VPN (based on Open VPN). Currently runs on Fedora.


No comments yet